Monday, February 11, 2008

New York: Chapter 1



I arrived in New York at about 3pm on Friday afternoon. The bus ride was easy, clean, and comfortable for the $35 round trip fee. Alexis didn't get off work until 5, so I took the subway over to the neighbourhood where she works and wandered around for a couple of hours.

The NY subway, living up to rumours from my DC friends, is crowded, claustrophobic and smelly. I even saw a rat there (the first rat I've ever seen!). It's also considerably more complicated than the DC system, but cheaper.

Alexis' building is just off 5th avenue near Central Park. I walked up and down 5th avenue, which was pretty cool. I visited the Apple Store, which was very cool (lived up to everything I'd read about it). I walked past the Trump tower and many designer stores.

One thing that really impressed me was the way that the buildings are so close together, like a very tall wall. There are all sorts of really interesting looking buildings, growing up with odd angles and different colours all pressed in right next old historic churches.



Alexis and I met up at 5 and headed to her place to drop off my stuff and then go for dinner. We had happy hour drinks at a great little bar, then ate at Sea (a Thai restaurant where they filmed an episode of Sex and the City).

More to follow soon...

No comments: